You have an Oblong Face Shape!
Look your best using the style tips below
Oblong faces are around one and a half times longer than they are wide. The cheeklines running from temple to jawline are straighter, but have a more tapered feel going twords the round chin. They are very similar to the rectangle shape, but have a smoother chin and jaw line.
Celebrities with this facial shape include: Liv Tyler, Terri Hatcher, and Stephanie Seymour.
Oblong Face Shape Style Tips
Now that you have discovered your face shape type, you can learn how to complement it using different hairstyles, makeup, glasses and more. Learn to look your best and be your own image consultant.
Hairstyles For Oblong Face Shapes
Your over-all goal with any style you choose is to create the appearance of a shorter, broader face. This can be achieved several ways:
- Add width with curls or body at your temples and cheekbones
- Short or fringed bangs
- Part your hair off center or to the side.
- Pull hair back, instead of up
- Long hair should add width at your neckline with curls or layers
Styles To Avoid
- Avoid parting your hair down the center
- Avoid adding volume at the crown of your head
- Avoid long hair without any body or volume added to the sides
- Avoid angular cuts
- Avoid extremely short hair
- Avoid close hair at the temples
Tip: Look for photos of celebrities with oblong face shapes to see what hairstyles work for them!
Makeup for Oblong Shaped Faces
The goal with makeup for the oblong facial shape is to create the appearance of a shorter face and added width to your cheekbones.
Your Makeup Essentials:
- Two shades of eyeshadow, one medium and one darker
- Powder Brush
- Conturing/Bronzing Powder
- Blush Brush
- Natural Colored Blush
- Apply foundation to your face, throat and chest(depending on your top garment's neck line) covering all skin evenly.
- Eyeliner is applied to the base of the lids from the outside of the eye twords the nose. Use a smooth motion and make the line sweep up slightly. Repeat the same motion to create a line on the bottom, tapering to the other end of the eye.
- Using the lighter eyeshadow, cover your each eyelid and slightly brush in an upward motion for a quarter of an inch.
- Apply the darker shade of eyeshadow over each eyelid and just above the crease of the eye. For asian women and those with small eyelids, leave the lids light, and blend the darker shade just above the crease.
- Mascara is applied to your eyelashes, brushing in a small "s" pattern as you pull up. This coats the all sides of each lash and separates them.
- For women with darker skin under the eyes, apply concealer. Concealer is usually one step lighter than the foundation. This may also come in handy to clean up any eyeshadow that may have dropped under the eyes.
- Using a powder brush, take your conturing or bronzing powder (should be slightly darker than your foundation) and brush your chin and top half of forehead.
- Define your brows with the liner pencil. If your brows have very light hair, draw the brows on by slowly building them up in a slight arch. This should start at one end of the eye, and end at the other end, making sure the brow is slightly longer than the eye.
- To apply blush, lightly brush from ball of the cheekbone inward. Stop about a half an inch from the nose. Most importantly, blush should be applied in a more horizontal fashion rather than vertical.
- Apply a darker lipstick to the lips if you desire.
Glasses For Oblong Shaped Faces
An oblong shaped face can choose any shaped frame, whether it has has curves or angles. Try thicker frames for a look that complements your face shape. The frames should be slightly wider than your cheekbones, to give the impression of a broader face. Glasses with a low bridge can also be flattering.
Jewelry For Oblong Face Shapes
People with an oblong shaped face should wear jewelry that adds width to the face and helps to mask the overall length.
- Earrings should be more wide than tall and can be rounded or squared.
- Larger round or square earrings work well
- Wear choker necklaces high on neck