You have a Round Face Shape!
Round shaped faces are equally as wide as they are long. They have a round chin and hairline. The widest point of the face is at the cheeks and ears.
Celebrities with this facial shape include: Drew Barrymore, Natalie Merchant, Kelly Osbourne, Kirsten Dunst, Oprah Winfrey, and Michelle Williams.
Drew Barrymore (Left), Kirsten Dunst (Center) and Michelle Williams (Right) all have a round facial shape.
Now that you have discovered your face shape type, learn how to complement it using different hairstyles, makeup, glasses and more. Learn to look your best with the tips and pointers below.
Hairstyles for Round Face Shapes
Your over-all goal with any style you choose is to add height and elongate the appearance of your round facial shape. This can be achieved in a few different ways:
- Styles that provide instant height using products to add volume on the crown on the head
- Add length under the chin by styling hair towards the top of the shoulders, as seen in shag cuts
- Long styles should have graduated shag or layers
- Keep the sides of your hair short or closer to the face. You never want to add body to the hair from forehead to jawline
- Add curls around the crown of your head, but not near the cheeks
Styles To Avoid
- Avoid Curly Hair - use a flat iron to straighten
- Avoid Very Short Hair - you need hair to add volume on the crown(top of your head)
- Avoid Bangs - bangs are not suggested, but can be flattering if kept light, long, or layered, never straight across.
Tip: Look for photos of celebrities with round face shapes to see what hairstyles work for them!
Makeup for Round Shaped Faces
The goal with makeup for this facial shape is to make your face appear taller and thinner to enhance your round face.
Your Makeup Essentials:
- Two shades of eyeshadow, one medium and one darker
- Powder Brush
- Conturing/Bronzing Powder
- Blush Brush
- Apply foundation to your face, throat and chest(depending on your top garment's neck line) covering all skin evenly.
- Eyeliner is applied to the base of the lids from the outside of the eye twords the nose. Use a smooth motion and make the line sweep up slightly. Repeat the same motion to create a line on the bottom, stopping at the center of the eye.
- Using the lighter eyeshadow, cover your each eyelid, then brush in an upward motion, almost to the browline. Extend the eyeshadow downward around to the bottom corners of the eye in a circular shape.
- Apply the darker shade of eyeshadow over each eyelid and just above the crease of the eye. This makes the eye appear taller.(For asian women and those with small eyelids, leave the lids light, and blend the darker shade just above the crease.)
- Mascara is applied to your eyelashes, brushing in a small "s" pattern as you pull up. This coats the all sides of each lash and separates them.
- For women with darker skin under the eyes, apply concealer. Concealer is usually one step lighter than the foundation. This may also come in handy to clean up any eyeshadow that may have dropped under the eyes.
- Using a powder brush, take your conturing or bronzing powder (should be slightly darker than your foundation) and lightly brush both sides of your face and below your jawline. This creates definintion in the jaw and makes your face appear thinner.
- Define your brows with the liner pencil. If your brows have very light hair, draw the brows on by slowly building them up in a slight arch. This should start at one end of the eye, and end at the other end, making sure the brow is slightly longer than the eye.
- To apply blush, lightly brush on the center of cheekbone below the pupil of the eye, and blending down toward bottom of nose.
- Apply a medium shade lipstick to the lips if you desire.
Glasses For Round Shaped Faces
A round facial shape should choose a rectangular or angular frame shape. Be sure the frames are longer than they are high, to make your face appear longer. Clear lower frames will also give a lift to the face and detract from fullness in the cheeks. Most importantly, the frames must not be wider than the width of your face. Many women find that childrens' frames give them a better fit, and sometimes cost less than larger adult frames.
Jewelry for Round Face Shapes
People with round shaped faces need to add height and length the appearance of their face. Jewelry can help acheive this.
- Earrings should dangle and be more longer than wide.
- Avoid small earrings.
- Pendant necklaces with a single amulet or charm work well to draw attention down giving the face the appearance of more length.
- Longer opera length necklaces (28" to 34") work well. Current trends suggest knotting a string of beads/pearls together once in the center of the drape.
- Any necklace style that is the shape of a "V" creates a longer line.
- Avoid chokers and bulky/chunky necklaces.
Want to Keep Face-Shape.com Free? Let us know how you like it!