You have a Rectangle Face Shape!
Look your best using the style tips below
Rectangle faces are about one and a half times longer than they are wide. The cheeklines running from temple to jawline are straight. The jaw line has definition to it. They are very similar to the oblong shape, but have an angular jaw line.
Celebrities with this facial shape include: Jade Jagger, Angelina Jolie, Sarah Jessica Parker, Gisele Bundchen, and Hilary Swank.
Rectangle Face Shape Style Tips
Now that you have discovered your face shape type, you can learn how to complement it using different hairstyles, makeup, glasses and more. Learn to look your best and be your own image consultant.
Hairstyles for Rectangle Face Shapes
Your over-all goal with any style you choose is to create the appearance of a shorter, wider face and to soften your jawline. This can be achieved several ways:
- Add width with curls or body at your temples and cheekbones
- Short or fringed bangs
- Part your hair off center or to the side.
- Pull hair back, instead of up
- Long hair should add width at your neckline with curls or layers
Styles To Avoid
- Avoid parting your hair down the center
- Avoid adding volume at the crown of your head
- Avoid long hair without any body or volume added to the sides
- Avoid angular cuts
- Avoid extremely short hair
Tip: Look for photos of celebrities with rectangle face shapes to see what hairstyles work for them!
Makeup for Rectangle Shaped Faces
The goal with makeup for the rectangle facial shape is to create the appearance of a shorter face and added width to your cheekbones.
Your Makeup Essentials:
- Two shades of eyeshadow, one medium and one darker
- Powder Brush
- Conturing/Bronzing Powder
- Blush Brush
- Natural Colored Blush
- Apply foundation to your face, throat and chest(depending on your top garment's neck line) covering all skin evenly.
- Eyeliner is applied to the base of the lids from the outside of the eye twords the nose. Use a smooth motion and make the line sweep up slightly. Repeat the same motion to create a line on the bottom, tapering to the other end of the eye.
- Using the lighter eyeshadow, cover your each eyelid and slightly brush in an upward motion for a quarter of an inch.
- Apply the darker shade of eyeshadow over each eyelid and just above the crease of the eye. For asian women and those with small eyelids, leave the lids light, and blend the darker shade just above the crease.
- Mascara is applied to your eyelashes, brushing in a small "s" pattern as you pull up. This coats the all sides of each lash and separates them.
- For women with darker skin under the eyes, apply concealer. Concealer is usually one step lighter than the foundation. This may also come in handy to clean up any eyeshadow that may have dropped under the eyes.
- Using a powder brush, take your conturing or bronzing powder (should be slightly darker than your foundation) and brush your chin and top half of forehead.
- Define your brows with the liner pencil. If your brows have very light hair, draw the brows on by slowly building them up in a slight arch. This should start at one end of the eye, and end at the other end, making sure the brow is slightly longer than the eye.
- To apply blush, lightly brush from ball of the cheekbone inward. Stop about a half an inch from the nose. The blush should be applied in a more horizontal fashion rather than vertical.
- Apply a darker lipstick to the lips if you desire.
Glasses For Rectangle Shaped Faces
A rectangle shaped face should choose a frame that has curves rather than being squared or angled. Try thicker frames for a look that complements your face shape. The frames should be slightly wider than your cheekbones, to give the impression of a broader face. Glasses with a low bridge can also be flattering.
Jewelry for Rectangle Face Shapes
People with a rectangle shaped face should wear jewelry that adds width to the face and helps to mask the overall length.
- Earrings should be more wide than tall and have soft curves, such as tear drops and ovals.
- Larger round button earrings work well
- Wear choker necklaces high on neck