You have a Square Face Shape!
Square shaped faces are equally as wide as they are long. The jaw lines are angular and have a similar width as the forehead.
Celebrities with this face shape include: Calista Flockhart, Demi Moore, Janet Jackson, Rosario Dawson, and Isabella Rossellini.
Demi Moore (Left), Rosario Dawson (Center) and Calista Flockhart (Right) all have square facial shapes
Now that you have discovered your face shape type, you can learn how to complement it using different hairstyles, makeup, glasses and more. Learn to look your best with the tips and pointers below.
Hairstyles for Square Face Shapes
Your over-all goal with any style you choose is to add height to face, and create an illusion that the forehead and jawline to appear soft and narrower. This can be achieved in a few different ways:
- Styles that provide instant height using products to add volume on the crown on the head.
- Part your hair off-centered
- Layered styles
- Asymmetric styles
- Add curls and waves to the very top(crown) of your head, and below the jawline
- Keep the sides of your hair short or closer to the face. Do not add body to the hair from forehead to jawline.
- Soften edgelines by curving and angling hair across the forehead
Styles To Avoid
- Avoid Very Short Hair - you need hair to add volume on the crown(top of your head)
- Avoid Heavy Bangs - bangs are not suggested, but can be flattering if kept light, long, or layered, never straight across.
- Avoid Chin Length Bob Cuts - it creates a harsh angle to your jawline.
Tip: Look for photos of celebrities with square face shapes to see what hairstyles work for them!
Makeup for Square Shaped Faces
The goal with makeup for this facial shape is to make your face appear taller and thinner to enhance your square face.
Your Makeup Essentials:
- Two shades of eyeshadow, one medium and one darker
- Powder Brush
- Conturing/Bronzing Powder
- Blush Brush
- Apply foundation to your face, throat and chest(depending on your top garment's neck line) covering all skin evenly.
- Eyeliner is applied to the base of the lids from the outside of the eye twords the nose. Use a smooth motion and make the line sweep up slightly. Repeat the same motion to create a line on the bottom, getting heavier until to reach the other end of the eye.
- Using the medium eyeshadow, cover your each eyelid, then brush in an upward motion, almost to the browline. Extend the eyeshadow downward around to the bottom corners of the eye in a circular shape.
- Apply the darker shade of eyeshadow over each eyelid and just above the crease of the eye. This makes the eye appear taller.(For asian women and those with small eyelids, leave the lids light, and blend the darker shade just above the crease.)
- Mascara is applied to your eyelashes, brushing in a small "s" pattern as you pull up. This coats the all sides of each lash and separates them.
- For women with darker skin under the eyes, apply concealer. Concealer is usually one step lighter than the foundation. This may also come in handy to clean up any eyeshadow that may have dropped under the eyes.
- Using a powder brush, take your conturing or bronzing powder (should be slightly darker than your foundation) and lightly brush both sides the face of stopping above jawline. This makes your face appear thinner.
- Define your brows with the liner pencil. If your brows have very light hair, draw the brows on by slowly building them up in a slight arch. This should start at one end of the eye, and end at the other end, making sure the brow is slightly longer than the eye.
- Apply blush more toward the center of the face, and brush up at an outward angle to make the face appear longer.
- Apply a medium lipstick to the lips if you desire.
Glasses For Square Face Shapes
A square facial shape should choose narrow oval frames or frame upward curves to minimize the width and angles of your face. Be sure the width of the frames is not longer than the width of your face. Accent colors or decoration on the upper outer corners of the frames help give the appearance of length. Many women find that childrens' frames give them a better fit, and sometimes cost less than larger adult frames.
Jewelry for Square Shaped Faces
People with square shaped faces need to add length and curves the appearance of their face. Jewelry can help acheive this.
- Hoop earrings add a nice round contour.
- Drop earrings add length.
- Avoid wearing small and single stud earrings.
- Any necklace style that is the shape of a "V" creates a longer line.
- Avoid chokers and bulky/chunky necklaces.
Tweet your friends what face shape you are! TweetWant to Keep Face-Shape.com Free? Let us know how you like it!